CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, January 21, 2013

Sweet Land Of Liberty?

Today is a big day for America.  Today we inaugurate our President into his 2nd elected term, and at the same time we celebrate the birth of a courageous man who stood for peace and equality during a time of racial injustice.  In trying to talk to my kids about Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and what he stood for, it has really got me thinking...are we really living by Dr. King's dream?  Sure, we are no longer segregated--but then again, we are, by the fact that most of the black, asian and hispanic citizens of our nation live in the inner cities and urban areas, while the white citizens of our nation live in suburbs and smaller farmland type communities.  It might not be because of bigoted law makers, but in my opinion we still live our lives segregated!  I want my children to grow up knowing there are many more political views, religious views, cultural traditions and ways of life than the one that we live!  I want my children to grow up having friends that invite them to share in their differences, not tear each other down because of them!  On a day where we celebrate with traditional pomp and circumstance the inauguration Barack Obama into his 2nd term, Dr. King's words just keep ringing in my head-- ''I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.''  But, we as a nation still are not there!  As a registered Independent, I have made no secret that there are many of the President's policies that I disagree with.  And, even though I DO respect the office of the POTUS and always will, my opposition (at times) has been met with reverse racism (so to speak)!  Why is it that in 2013 I am forbidden to judge a person by the content of his character, because of the color of his skin?  THAT is the one real tragedy regarding the Obama presidency. If you're white and criticize him you must be a racist, if you're black and do so you are labeled a "sellout"!   Dr. King would be ashamed of us!! 
So on this day, my hope for our nation (for all our children's sake) is that more people (no matter your political party, religious affiliation, color or sexual orientation) listen to or read the text of Dr. King's beautiful 'I Have A Dream' speech, take in the words and REALLY hear them!  Hear them, learn them and truly try to live by them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment